The platform you select will influence decisions about exhibit organization and design, among other things. You may start out knowing what platform you want to use, or you may change your mind about the chosen platform based on the way you want to organize your exhibit, the way you want visitors to interact with it, and whether you want to have the object available in digital collection form as well.
Some things to keep in mind while considering platforms include:
- Ease of use and customization
- Whether there needs to be a searchable collections component
- Whether exhibits should be navigable linearly, non-linearly, or both
- The types and level of interactivity desired
- Accessibility for the disabled
Some common platform options: